Sunday, May 4, 2008

Night Ch. 3

Elie is separated from his mother and sister at Birkenau, but stays with his father by lying about his age to Dr. Mengele. However, he is still anxious about going to the crematorium. At the last second he is sent away from the flames to a barracks.
After seeing the crematorium, he is scarred for life and loses hope in his faith. The guards at the barracks are very cruel, not letting Elie's father to the bathroom, and telling the Jews to work hard or die. Elie also sees a relative from far away named Stein, and lies about Stein's family to him. But soon Stein finds out the real news and dissapears.
This chapter dealt a lot with faith, which Elie says he gave up after seeing the burning of the people. He also says that he shall never forget that night "even if I am condemned to live as long as God himself..." The author fills his book with horrific facts and true emotions he was forced to experience, and this chapter was a prime example of them.

2 comments:

sam dodd said...

Tim this was a pretty good post. you managed to get pretty much the entire section fairly concisely. I really like the summary/analysis at the end. It's a good idea

Tom's Night Blog said...

Tim, I liked the amount of details in your summary. I think using quotes from the book was a good idea. Good job.